DekkiLap

DF takes too long to open

8 posts in this topic

Hallo,
2 days before I decided to try Firestorm Dragonflight and downloaded minimal client to try it out. I liked it and downloaded full client, but now my game takes around 20 minutes just to open, I've heard thats a common issue but I want to know if is there any option to fix this?

This is usually caused by your Antivirus.

Adding the wow.exe as an exception in your antivirus should allow it to launch.

Best Regards,
Mythyrian

On 29.03.2024 at 3:16 AM, Mythyrian said:

This is usually caused by your Antivirus.

Adding the wow.exe as an exception in your antivirus should allow it to launch.

Best Regards,
Mythyrian

I have no antivirus on my pc. Windows Defender and things like that are turned off.

Are you sure these are off? Windows defender is an AV. If so then your ISP could be blocking the connection as well. Try accessing with a VPN (there are free ones out there to test this).

If the game isnt loading for you its either AV, ISP, Firewall or the PC itself.

It's common to take a long time mostly just the first time you open it, or if it needs to download some content (full client should need to download very little).

Without knowing your internet speed or computer specs it's hard to know what "normal" loading time is for your computer. My computer is over 10 years old (newer video card), but was high end when built, and it takes less than a minute for me. But my PC is the fastest Intel Core i7 at the time built, Samsung Pro SSD's, 32GB RAM, and a video card that's a few years old. All it takes to massively slow loading times is to have a crappy mechanical hard drive instead of SSD, or low RAM, or slow CPU. Especially with lots of addons installed.

On 06.04.2024 at 10:05 PM, Zaranthos said:

It's common to take a long time mostly just the first time you open it, or if it needs to download some content (full client should need to download very little).

Without knowing your internet speed or computer specs it's hard to know what "normal" loading time is for your computer. My computer is over 10 years old (newer video card), but was high end when built, and it takes less than a minute for me. But my PC is the fastest Intel Core i7 at the time built, Samsung Pro SSD's, 32GB RAM, and a video card that's a few years old. All it takes to massively slow loading times is to have a crappy mechanical hard drive instead of SSD, or low RAM, or slow CPU. Especially with lots of addons installed.

I have nearly 400mb/s internet speed, i5-6400,hdd and 12gb RAM. The newest expansion I played was BFA on the official server and I never had such problems. Legion and every other expansion take no time to open, except DF. Thats why Im confused with that.

Screenshot_70.png

Posted (edited)

On 06.04.2024 at 6:12 PM, Mythyrian said:

Are you sure these are off? Windows defender is an AV. If so then your ISP could be blocking the connection as well. Try accessing with a VPN (there are free ones out there to test this).

If the game isnt loading for you its either AV, ISP, Firewall or the PC itself.

Im 100% sure I have no AV on my pc, VPN also didnt help me. Never had such problems with BFA, Legion etc. Btw the first launch of the game was normal and fast, after that all the time it was taking forever. Maybe there are some other options for me to do. I dont think that my PC is a problem, the task of the game in task manager consumes zero of my CPU or RAM and only after 15 minutes it starts to use my CPU and RAM and then the game instantly launches.

Screenshot_74.png

Edited by DekkiLap

1. Are u seeing any abnormal connections coming to your PC when the exe is clicked by u? Mostly these are blocked automatically by dedicated firewalls but low grade ones can offer u choice to block or allow.

2. Are u  seeing any blocked connections while gaming? norton and mcafee routinely used to show me such during BFA & SL both but now I have dedicated security & they get auto-blocked.

IF u do see any such, that means there's a gap that malicious activity is piggybacking on, using exe and/or associated DLL's.

The cure: this will be a little tedious >>

1. make sure u have dependable firewall, windows' innate one works fine but I have no idea how these things work over in ur part of world, firewall is more important than antivirus basically.

2. delete WHOLE FS folder, then manually delete everything WoW related in ur registry, also clear ur whole UAC area of WoW related footprint. This generally is under Users/Default/AppData but can be in other places in Users folder.

3. do a thorough antirus clean of ur system including once after a restart.

4. Get FS full client while a dependable security is on. Dont go the launcher route as that can have malicious activity, get zip file & manually unzip.

5. Make ABSOLUTELY sure the new unzipped folder is either in OS drive or if on partition, then partition has priviledges to write a large pagefile to OS drive. U may want to read this > https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-does-page-file-affect-games-and-should-i-configure-it.3216152/

I'm assuming all thru that u have windows and the download wasnt corrupt to begin with, resulting in missing/altered files.