Devblog 8.2 + Q&A!

23 posts in this topic

News forum (1).jpg

Hello everyone!

If you read our announcement about Sethraliss’ 3rd content update, you’re aware that for a little while now, we started working on the development of 8.1 content on a 8.2 client. At first, only a few devs were assigned to it, but now almost all of them are working on it, which also explains why our 8.0 development is lighter now (less tickets in the live changelog is one of the symptoms).
In that last announcement done in July, we mentioned that we were aiming for a release mid October: we’re halfway there, so we figured it would be a good time to share with you our progress and aims for the release! The ETA of the release is now the end of October (just a slight delay in 2 months worth of development).
In the meantime, we’re still taking care of Sethraliss and making sure our 8.0 version is stable, don’t worry! A few developers are still monitoring it and making sure the important issues are addressed (major spell bugs, main questline / Uldir issues, etc).

As we said before, the client itself will be an 8.2 client (the latest we can), but the content we are scripting is the one directly following what you currently have on Sethraliss: 8.1 questlines,  zone & raid. We do not wish to skip anything from the content part, but having an 8.2 client will allow us to keep on scripting up to 8.2 without having to update the client again, which is a huge gain of time for us. So do not worry, you won’t miss on anything BFA has to offer! For those that remember our Legion’s development, we did a similar thing when updating our client from 7.1.5 to 7.3.5, without skipping any of the 7.2 content.

One thing worth mentioning though is the class balance that will be taken from 8.2 right away when the 8.2 FS client is released. We’re aware that this means you won’t be doing the content with its related balancing, but there are several reasons that made us stick to this choice (again, the same way it was done on Legion):

• It drastically reduces dev time: between each game version, a lot of balance changes are done, including removal & addition of new traits or spells: Altering one spell for 8.1, and then again when we’d get into 8.2 content would take twice the amount of time.
  • In essence, later versions are often “better” balanced than earlier ones: some bugs or unintended features are fixed, and the strongest classes are usually slightly nerfed while the weakest are buffed, which leads to a healthier state of the game. That point is up for debate, we’re aware, but it still explains why we also believed this was a good approach.

blueline.png

For a few weeks now, our Quality Assurance team is focussing on making reports of class changes, and our developers are fixing them. On the side, some QA members are testing the next raid, Battle of Dazar’Alor (most bosses have their main script done, and require feedback for adjustment).
As a reminder, you can apply to join our Quality Assurance team and help us bring out the best release possible here!

Here is our developer assignment at the moment:

• 1 dev on Sethraliss monitoring & major bug fixing

• 3 devs on BoD (one per wing, so 3 bosses each)

• 2 devs on class fixing

• 2 devs on the continuation of the war campaign (one for each side)

• 1 dev on Darkshore

• 1 dev on PVP invasions

Also, as you may have seen for the past months (and still ongoing) we have a few developers that work on low-level zones or older expansion questlines: Gilneas & Kezan have been rescripted, Elwynn Forest is on the way and we also have a developer working on WoD’s main questline: the idea is to then rescript fully a “leveling route” that will allow you to level up from 1 to 110 as easily as you can level up from 110 to 120 on BFA’s questlines. This means, broadly, scripting 1 zone of each level range available where every race can go without too much effort.

blueline.png

Now for the more detailed list of what’s planned on our 8.2 client release! 

Currently on Sethraliss, every 8.0 content short of the Island Expeditions are available. We know we announced them a while ago, but their development got delayed: rest assured, one of our developers is working on them at the moment, and 3 islands should be available at the release! As usual, when doing a client update / new expansion release, a Public Test Realm will be set up so players can test the new contents.

• 8.2.0 release content at launch:

• 8.2 Class balance 

• 8.1 War campaign continuation 

• New allied races / Kultiran / Zandalari 

• 1st wing of Battle of Dazar'alor

• New endgame zone Darkshore 

• Siege of Boralus and Kings' Rest available on Heroic difficulty.

• PVP Invasions

• Azerite gear Vendor 

• New Azerite traits

Then, from there on we will script content as it was released on retail: 2nd and 3rd wing of BoD, then the full Mythic mode, then the 3rd Raid Crucible of Storms alongside its quests, and finally 8.2 zones.

As you noticed, we plan on releasing BoD wing by wing (like we used to on Legion) and not fully at once as we did with Uldir. We initially thought that releasing the raid all at once would help deliver a better experience for players, and this point still stands; but what we underestimated was the impact in terms of workflow: It’s harder to test all the bosses at once for the QA, and harder for the developers as well, who have to make some bug fixes as long as 3 months after the boss was released. On top of that, we saw on Uldir that only a few guilds actually profited from the full release, as most were progressing (in HM at least) at a pace close to 1 wing / month, which is what we plan on doing on BoD.
Easier to test & to fix means higher quality, to the “price” of quantity. We thought we could manage it on Uldir, but it wasn’t really conclusive so we’re switching back to the old, more manageable way!

blueline.png

q_a.png

FIRESTORM Q&A

It’s been a while since we gave you guys the chance to ask us about Firestorm, and the 8.2 client update sounds like a great opportunity! On Tuesday, October 1st 6 PM Server Time, we will be hosting a Questions & Answers on the public discord!
Its system will be the same as the previous times: We’ll unlock a channel for you to post questions, then lock it and take time to answer them: there will be about 5 or 6 rounds.
Please read carefully everything in this devblog to not waste questions on stuff that we already explained!

EDIT: Transcript of the Q&A available here!

Thank you for your time! We hope this will shed some light on the 8.2 client update!

The Firestorm Staff

News forum.jpg

Edited by Pantoufle
Added link for the Q&A transcript
5 people like this

so we finally have flight in bfa???

1 person likes this

Flying will be coming when the 8.2 retail content will be released, meaning Mechagon+Rise of Ashara content, next year..

Edited by Alexiuly

Azerite traits: Will they be scripted according to 8.2 too?

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, LegnaX said:

we plan on releasing BoD wing by wing

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, LegnaX said:

On top of that, we saw on Uldir that only a few guilds actually profited from the full release

I don't quite agree on that. I'm well aware that fixing every boss will take more time and will probably delay BoD release date, but the experience would be worth the wait. The majority of guilds noticed the difference between releasing raid wings once per week/2weeks and releasing the full raid at once. Uldir(N) was cleared by many guilds in a matter of a week. Uldir(H) took more time but most of the guilds were 4/8 the following week after Uldir(N) was cleared. 

Besides that, good work team! 

27 minutes ago, giogio01 said:

so we finally have flight in bfa???

Flying comes with 8.2 content, we are releasing 8.1 content first. Mind that the requirements to unlock it is to get reputation with the two new zones that got added on 8.2

2 hours ago, Masoscrivere said:

I don't quite agree on that. I'm well aware that fixing every boss will take more time and will probably delay BoD release date, but the experience would be worth the wait. The majority of guilds noticed the difference between releasing raid wings once per week/2weeks and releasing the full raid at once. Uldir(N) was cleared by many guilds in a matter of a week. Uldir(H) took more time but most of the guilds were 4/8 the following week after Uldir(N) was cleared. 

Besides that, good work team! 

I agree with you. I think they missed the fact that the release of Uldir was when majority of players had low/avg gear and it  resulted in poor progress(also the fact of new expansion itself). So now all raiding guilds have ~380 ilvl it would be better to release BoD at once like Uldir instead of wing by wing IMHO.

it would be even better to release Boss by Boss if u have it at least working as intented...uldir still is bugged wdym xD and wow is not raid only its dungeons pvp everything...and right now nothing even works close as intented...

12 minutes ago, Tassos1123 said:

it would be even better to release Boss by Boss if u have it at least working as intented...uldir still is bugged wdym xD and wow is not raid only its dungeons pvp everything...and right now nothing even works close as intented...

Funny, Bugtracker feels quite empty about Uldir reports. I wonder why. 

Edited by Sketter

Will you update shop with 8.1 gear and later 8.2 gear or will you go straight to 8.2? Or there is no plan doing any of that at the moment?

9 hours ago, Qute said:

Will you update shop with 8.1 gear and later 8.2 gear or will you go straight to 8.2? Or there is no plan doing any of that at the moment?

We'll eventually update the shop with 810 gear. We won't be putting 820 items on there since that will be unfair to other players who do not want to spend money.

xD yea ok wow bfa 8.2.5

1 hour ago, MaxtorCoder said:

We'll eventually update the shop with 810 gear. We won't be putting 820 items on there since that will be unfair to other players who do not want to spend money.

Will bought gear receive updates with newer patches? Or you made the loyalty point upgrade (+5 ilvl) for this purpose and you consider it as "the" solution?

whatever they release still a good server anyways I know I'm not a good player not like the others but I really love how the development of every expansion. What an average player like me wish for is the balance of every character, PVP/arena and even in questing/raiding, we do understand as a player that script coding isn't an easy thing but much appreciated if these things works. What I recall there was a private server way back vanilla wow that looks like the retail one but suddenly it's gone.

For all FS-team a very good job hoping this server will go-on on the future expansions and hoping for the discount of gears so that I can afford one hahaha char!!!

When you open WIng 1 of Raid do you increase M+ ilvl or Season 2 M+ come sooner than Wing 1 of Bod, On retail there is like one week before releasing new raid/or season there is ilvl restriction on M+ loot if i remmeber correctly first week you only need to do M+ 5 bcs above that there was restriction on ilvl do you want do something similiar here?

On 9/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, Sketter said:

Funny, Bugtracker feels quite empty about Uldir reports. I wonder why. 

what is funny exactly? that u just assume there are no bugs because bugtracker is empty ? yes that is funny

will the legion legendary questlines (the ones that give mounts) work in bfa then?

As announced on the forum that the next patch will be updated to 8.1 on 8.2 client. Thank you for that. But here are some questions about it. Hopefully any of the devs could help us out. I am posting it here cause i know not everyone will be on discord at 1st October. 

1. Class balance will be the 8.2 patch right?

2. Which version of the azerite power will be released on the new content? 8.1 or 8.2? There's pretty big differences

3. Which gears will be released into the shop? and which ilvl will that be?

4. Will titan residuum scaled like retail with 8.1 patch?

5. Darkshore Warfront: Will this be open with quest?

6. How many bosses will be released? On retail 8.1, if i remember correctly it was 3 bosses each wing.

7. Will u release the questline for bloodelf Heritage Armor?

when coming boris ?

if ppl buy itmes 395 ilvl they get  free update this items or what you do with that ?

is PVP system(Rated) on new patch will work fine?
because now some pvp rewards like mounts are bugged

Which version of addons must be used, 8.1 - 8.1.5 or another. 

What is the Release Date of 8.1 content?

Only 2 devs for class fixing? Well you need to Review your priorites

https://imgur.com/a/EbvjL0M

https://imgur.com/a/J3Bb0Ej

https://imgur.com/a/hcNBRuC

And do not answer to report on bug tracker cuz ONLY 2 DEV WORKING ON IT .......kappa

Same ilv 1/3 of dmage smthing wrong....

Edited by Heyimbad